It is the inaugural week of eMERGE Plus (an idea I got in the shower the other night :)) and I am excited to share ways for anyone to create their version of FIT and Total Wellness! Okay, let’s get started.
- Nutrition – Cilantro Lime Cauliflower “Rice” – As we work to create our abs in the kitchen, here is a recipe that will help to satisfy your carb cravings – without the calories. Cauliflower rice has about 25 calories/cup vs 220 in brown rice and 5 grams of carbs vs 45 in brown rice. Great way to have the sides you love in a healthier way! Below are are few recipes I found that have good ratings. Post your “special touches” below and share your experience with this “rice” alternative. I will share mine also! ~ Eat Well
- Exercise – JackKnife Sit up – Why not also work on our abs during in your workout routine?! Love me later – lol. Perform 20 reps a day – 3 times this week. Feel free to break up the reps into a morning set of 10 and an evening set of 10. Here is a video showing exactly how to perform this exercise properly.
- Alternative 1 – Do not touch your toes – reach for your knees or just beyond. Maintain good form and slow speed to maintain muscle activation throughout the exercise.
- Alternative 2 – Use a medicine ball or yoga ball with this exercise. Place the ball between your ankles, when you come up transfer the ball from your legs to your hands; when you come back up return the ball to your ankles and continue this pattern throughout your reps.
- Development – Create a “baseline”. Your baseline is where you start. While today may not be for first day – you must always measure your progress along your journey. You can not manage anything you do not measure. So let’s get some numbers going. Here are some great baseline metrics to start with…remember wellness is not a number on a scale.
- I exercise _____ days a week (or measure in hours per week)
- My total inches measure: ______ (to calculate this measure your shoulders; bust; waist; and hips then add the inches together)
- My daily energy level is: ______ (scale of 1 (no energy) to 5 (high energy))
- I drink _____ ounces of water a day
- I weigh:______
- My BMI is:_______
- My Body Fat % is:_____
While you are at it, go ahead and make some 90 day goals for these numbers as well. Don’t stress over these numbers, we will record them today and come back to it in a few weeks.
- **Wildcard** – This week’s wildcard is “sweet”. Ok, I lied it’s less than sweet. This task will require you to read labels, do a little math, and cut back on some sugar – WHAT?! During the month of chocolate everything?!?! Yup! That is what we are doing. We are keeping this task for the whole month of February. The first day that you do this challenge – eat whatever you would normally eat throughout the day – but track the grams of sugar. You can figure this out by reading the labels or using an app like MyFitnessPal. EVERYthing counts – salad dressings, condiments, snacks, gum, etc – these are all places where you can find hidden sugars. Day 2 and for the rest of the month, work to get your sugar intake at or below 50 grams/day! You will learn a lot about where your sugar calories are coming from and you may be very surprised!
Ok, let’s get it going! And remember share your journey!